SEC Climate Change Portal overview:
The SEC Climate Portal is developed and own by the Singapore Environment Council (www.sec.org.sg). It is a major source of information and solutions on climate change for Singapore and the region. This site provides detailed information on climate change related issues globally and in the local context. The Climate Change Portal consolidates all climate change related projects undertaken by the Singapore Environment Council (SEC) as well as climate change related services (Carbon Calculator, Options for offsetting carbon emissions). In so doing, the Climate Change Portal is a one-stop centre for provision of information as well as services related to climate change in Singapore and the region.
The SEC Climate portal contains 6 distinct sections:
1. Climate Change Information: This section provides detailed information’s on climate change globally and in the Singapore context. It presents the content of a book on climate change developed by SEC in different formats and forms. This includes interactive diagrams and animations about different aspects of the climate system as well as numerous illustrations and pictures.
2. Project Carbon Zero: This section links to one of SEC’s programme which aims to reduce energy usage within households. This programme is targeted at schools at the primary and secondary levels.
3. Climate Change Mobile Exhibition & Booking Facility: This section presents the content of SEC’s mobile exhibition which includes some content on climate change. Users can also book the exhibition online through our online calendar.
4. Carbon Calculator: Currently, this section provides a lifestyle carbon assessment tool which is targeted at households in Singapore. It also includes a transport carbon calculator specific to Singapore. SEC plans to add on further calculators within this section.
5. Offset Options: this section provides information’s on carbon offsetting as well as a range of projects for corporate to offset their emissions.
6. What’s hot: this section displays a wide range of information on climate change. It displays some products and technologies which have carbon reduction benefits as well as selected publications, audio visual material, news, downloadable material and other elements related to climate change.
We hope that you will enjoy your navigation through this site and will find the information and tools you are looking for.
The SEC team
Businesses and their related activities have a very significant impact on the Earth climate by generating large amounts of greenhouse gas emissions. In order to slow down the current trend of warming, it is primordial that businesses of all sizes and all type start to rethink the way they do business to significantly reduce their carbon footprint.
Businesses must not rely on governments to take all the actions and provide the solutions but must start to take the mater into their own hands if we are to see significant changes. There will inevitably be more and more regulations enforced by governments to control and reduce emissions, staying ahead of the game is therefore an important strategy for businesses and a long term investment.
There are numerous options for businesses to reduce emissions and therefore their contribution to climate change:
1. Carbon assessment: businesses can choose to undergo a carbon audit to identify which parts of their processes and operations involve significant emissions.
2. Energy efficiency: Ones known, actions can be taken to reduce these emissions through the adoption of more energy efficient technologies.
3. Methodologies and best practices: Implementation of methodologies and operation procedures to reduce emissions in all levels of operations.
4. Education: education of the workforce within businesses can have a significant impact in spreading awareness on climate change issues and change behaviours even beyond the workplace.
5. Offsets: businesses can choose to become carbon neutral by offsetting the emissions that they cannot avoid through the purchase of carbon credits.
It is important to highlight that reduction in energy usage translates to significant cost savings over time.
Selected sections of the site for Businesses:
The below sections of this site are the most relevant to the business sector (We would however recommend that you browse through the entire site):
- Assess your emissions: Small Business Carbon Calculator
- Assess and report your emissions: Singapore Carbon Label
- Become carbon neutral: Carbon Offsets
- Purchase and implement energy efficient technologies: Products & Technologies
- Educate your employees: Climate Change Info
Climate Change is a very serious threat for current and future generations. As such, it is important to raise the level of awareness on climate change issues. Globally and especially in South East Asia the level of awareness on the issue remains low or the issues remain misunderstood. There is therefore a tremendous need to raise this awareness. The community needs to know about the issues and what is at stake. Educators have an important role to play in spreading this awareness. This can be achieved through several means.
This site contains numerous sections which can be used by educators. The core of the site actually comprises of a book on climate change which was developed to serve as a strong and useful educational platform.
Selected sections of the site for educators and students:
- Learn and spread awareness on climate change:
Climate Change Info
- Learn and educate through interactive means: Carbon Calculators
- Access education material: Downloads
- References for your research: Links
- Use our exhibition as an educational tool: Mobile Exhibition
Individuals have an important role to play in the fight against climate change. We all contribute to the addition of Green House Gases in the atmosphere through our daily activities. Despite that individual actions are insignificant, if applied on a large scale such action will result in very significant reductions in emissions. Such principal is known as the snowball effect, one individual can spread awareness and showcase best practices to other individuals which will in term spread awareness to many others.