• The commercial system has contributed to the increasing popularity of voluntary offsets among private individuals, companies, and organizations as well as investment in clean technologies, clean energy and reforestation projects around the world.
• Offsets may be cheaper or more convenient alternatives to reducing one's own fossil-fuel consumption.
While the primary goal of carbon offsets is to reduce global carbon emissions, many offset projects also lead to improvements in the quality of life for a local population. These additional improvements are termed co-benefits, and may be considered when evaluating and comparing carbon offset projects.
For instance, some possible co-benefits from a project which replaces wood burning stoves with ovens which use a less carbon-intensive fuel include:
• Lower non greenhouse gas pollution, which improves health in the home
• Improved safety for women who used to go alone into the forest to collect firewood, and were thus exposed to danger of violence
• Better education for children who need no longer spend so much time collecting wood fuel
• Better preservation of forests
Businesses and their related activities have a very significant impact on the Earth climate by generating large amounts of greenhouse gas emissions. In order to slow down the current trend of warming, it is primordial that businesses of all sizes and all type start to rethink the way they do business to significantly reduce their carbon footprint.
Businesses must not rely on governments to take all the actions and provide the solutions but must start to take the mater into their own hands if we are to see significant changes. There will inevitably be more and more regulations enforced by governments to control and reduce emissions, staying ahead of the game is therefore an important strategy for businesses and a long term investment.
There are numerous options for businesses to reduce emissions and therefore their contribution to climate change:
1. Carbon assessment: businesses can choose to undergo a carbon audit to identify which parts of their processes and operations involve significant emissions.
2. Energy efficiency: Ones known, actions can be taken to reduce these emissions through the adoption of more energy efficient technologies.
3. Methodologies and best practices: Implementation of methodologies and operation procedures to reduce emissions in all levels of operations.
4. Education: education of the workforce within businesses can have a significant impact in spreading awareness on climate change issues and change behaviours even beyond the workplace.
5. Offsets: businesses can choose to become carbon neutral by offsetting the emissions that they cannot avoid through the purchase of carbon credits.
It is important to highlight that reduction in energy usage translates to significant cost savings over time.
Selected sections of the site for Businesses:
The below sections of this site are the most relevant to the business sector (We would however recommend that you browse through the entire site):
- Assess your emissions: Small Business Carbon Calculator
- Assess and report your emissions: Singapore Carbon Label
- Become carbon neutral: Carbon Offsets
- Purchase and implement energy efficient technologies: Products & Technologies
- Educate your employees: Climate Change Info
Climate Change is a very serious threat for current and future generations. As such, it is important to raise the level of awareness on climate change issues. Globally and especially in South East Asia the level of awareness on the issue remains low or the issues remain misunderstood. There is therefore a tremendous need to raise this awareness. The community needs to know about the issues and what is at stake. Educators have an important role to play in spreading this awareness. This can be achieved through several means.
This site contains numerous sections which can be used by educators. The core of the site actually comprises of a book on climate change which was developed to serve as a strong and useful educational platform.
Selected sections of the site for educators and students:
- Learn and spread awareness on climate change:
Climate Change Info
- Learn and educate through interactive means: Carbon Calculators
- Access education material: Downloads
- References for your research: Links
- Use our exhibition as an educational tool: Mobile Exhibition
Individuals have an important role to play in the fight against climate change. We all contribute to the addition of Green House Gases in the atmosphere through our daily activities. Despite that individual actions are insignificant, if applied on a large scale such action will result in very significant reductions in emissions. Such principal is known as the snowball effect, one individual can spread awareness and showcase best practices to other individuals which will in term spread awareness to many others.