Businesses and their related activities have a very significant impact on the Earth climate by generating large amounts of greenhouse gas emissions. In order to slow down the current trend of warming, it is primordial that businesses of all sizes and all type start to rethink the way they do business to significantly reduce their carbon footprint.
Businesses must not rely on governments to take all the actions and provide the solutions but must start to take the mater into their own hands if we are to see significant changes. There will inevitably be more and more regulations enforced by governments to control and reduce emissions, staying ahead of the game is therefore an important strategy for businesses and a long term investment.
There are numerous options for businesses to reduce emissions and therefore their contribution to climate change:
1. Carbon assessment: businesses can choose to undergo a carbon audit to identify which parts of their processes and operations involve significant emissions.
2. Energy efficiency: Ones known, actions can be taken to reduce these emissions through the adoption of more energy efficient technologies.
3. Methodologies and best practices: Implementation of methodologies and operation procedures to reduce emissions in all levels of operations.
4. Education: education of the workforce within businesses can have a significant impact in spreading awareness on climate change issues and change behaviours even beyond the workplace.
5. Offsets: businesses can choose to become carbon neutral by offsetting the emissions that they cannot avoid through the purchase of carbon credits.
It is important to highlight that reduction in energy usage translates to significant cost savings over time.
Selected sections of the site for Businesses:
The below sections of this site are the most relevant to the business sector (We would however recommend that you browse through the entire site):
- Assess your emissions: Small Business Carbon Calculator
- Assess and report your emissions: Singapore Carbon Label
- Become carbon neutral: Carbon Offsets
- Purchase and implement energy efficient technologies: Products & Technologies
- Educate your employees: Climate Change Info